Skip to main content

That Way Madness Lies...


This looks like an artistic display doesn't it? Well, except for the outlet on the right. I haven't written a post in awhile and one of the reasons has to do with the above photo. To say that I have been preoccupied with all things bathroom related would be a real understatement. If you are squeamish about this sort of thing (poop talk), well, too bad. The post is really about my experience with OTC (over the counter) drugs and not entirely about poop.

Just to give a little background, I was newly diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) earlier this year.  (For those not familiar, IBS is a disruptive condition, causing diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain. It makes it nearly impossible to be regular in your toilet habits in any meaningful way. The condition is chronic and takes a real emotional and physical toll.) My problems have been ongoing, however, and came to a head about two years ago. (Although in retrospect, I have likely had problems like this for much of my adult life.) Things came to a complete standstill in the bathroom, so to speak, and I was quite desperate for relief. I did what any normal person would do (after consulting not my physician but Dr. Google instead) and sped on down to CVS for some OTC action. Once home and with the problem remedied, (Thank God), I thought that was it. As can be imagined, I was quite wrong. Very wrong. My problems were only just beginning.

Fast forward to now. I have had a colonoscopy (clean bill of health), have been assigned a GI doctor, and have been prescribed various medications. None of those medications have helped normalize my routine. I have been on and off a special elimination/reintroduction diet, I have increased and decreased my fiber, I have exercised and increased my fluid intake. And, oh yes, I have tried every OTC remedy known to man (and Amazon.com). It's been a lot of fun. And I have gone from being the person that can be depended upon to a completely unreliable person that I don't recognize. 

But back to that photo above. What is all of that stuff? The majority of the items are all medications that can be purchased over the counter without a prescription. (To be fair there are also five items there prescribed by my doctor.) Some of the medication is "natural" such as the peppermint capsules and is meant to relax the muscles of your digestive tract. People with IBS can experience painful muscles spasms throughout their GI system. On the flip side, a lot of what is pictured there is not so natural and is meant to speed up and stimulate peristalsis, the natural waves that your GI tract creates to move things along. Some of the medication is oral and some is well, not so oral. It works via insertion into the tail end of the body. Isn't that fun?

The upshot of all of my experiences thus far has caused me to do a lot of thinking. Some of those thoughts are personal but some are a little more prosaic. They are based on my own delay in getting to the GI doctor. Why do we seek the drugstore first and not our doctors? It can only prolong the inevitable and while you are trying something out, your condition may get worse. What is the lure of the OTC solution that causes us to postpone? 

Something to consider is that OTCs really can help and it has been my experience that the doctor will suggest those things as a first line of defense. They mostly have a proven track record. Aspirin, band aids, cold medicine, topical analgesics, lip balm, and the list goes on. Many of the items shown above, such as the milk of magnesia and magnesium capsules, actually do work. And many people do get relief from fiber supplements or an osmotic like Miralax. Lots of times though, the remedies don't help. I don't mean that they don't work in the short term (many of them do) but they are not a long term fix for IBS. Nothing is and that is my point I guess. It's a chronic condition. Treatment is fluid, flexible, individual and ongoing.

In case anyone is wondering, I did eventually get to the GI doctor (it was a long process and not entirely my fault that I didn't get there right away). But why the delay on my part? Because I am like nearly everyone else. I believe in the power of medicine, even OTC stuff. Much of what is available can actually work. And, I think I can fix things myself. I am also just as susceptible to the Power of Dr. Google as the next guy. It's very easy to search on the Internet for solutions that can be readily purchased at the drugstore or online. It's much less embarrassing than having to tell someone, even if that someone is your doctor who has the prescription  pad ready! Ultimately though, can you really diagnose yourself and make things better with an OTC? Maybe yes, maybe no.  

I said earlier that I had done some thinking. One of the salient questions that I came up with is this: Why do we try OTC medicines (and waste time in some cases) when we should really just go to the correct health care practitioner? See if any of these reasons resonate with you.

1. To avoid going to the doctor because of fear, cultural norms, etc.

2. The need for a quick and proven solution, particularly in the absence of an appointment. 

3. An OTC makes sense (to the person using it anyway).

4. Misinformation.

5. Suggestion from a friend or relative.

6. Self diagnosis.

7. Belief in "alternative" or "complimentary" medicines. (No knock here, I use them too.)

8. Frustration

9. Lack of health care, funds, transportation, etc.

10. Distrust of doctors, medicine in general, and horror stories heard on the news.

11. Our fervent and undying belief that NOTHING IS WRONG! And an OTC is an acceptable level of medicine, one we can deal with emotionally, unlike an antibiotic or cancer drug that carries some serious mental baggage.

Being sick sucks. Having a chronic condition sucks. Thank God there are still drugstores and online pharmacies. But being really sick, having a bad disease that might kill you?  That is a job for the Professional and a whole other level of treatment, certainly not one that can be had at CVS or Walgreens. 

Is my problem with IBS over? No. Have I become my own GI doctor? Yes, in a way I have. I feel like each day I get a little closer to a better overall understanding of the condition. I have given up trying to find the perfect OTC remedy. (OTCs can help but can also in fact exacerbate the situation and leave you feeling worse than when you started.) I will be writing another post about what I am doing that is sort of working. But for now, I leave you with this question and challenge. Can you guess which medicine shown above actually works the best? There may be a special prize for you if you guess correctly.

Thank you for reading and as always, if you have a question or comment let me know.

libbyfife@ymail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th