Skip to main content

Why I Have Many Backpacks Yet Only Have One Back!


Taking a rest at Lake Hogan, Valley Springs, CA
What is it with me and backpacks? The one pictured in the photo above is now a few months old and came from Gossamer Gear. I purchased it during a Labor Day sale. Did I need another pack? No! My main pack is an Osprey Skimmer 30, also purchased last year during a sale. Both packs are what is termed a "daypack" and they each serve different purposes for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, I also own a smaller hydration pack, an 18 liter child's pack from REI and three backpack "purses" from Dakine.)  In my quest for the perfect pack, I have often felt like Cinderalla with a mild case of OCD!

Why all of the packs then? I think the reason has to do with a question that came up for me recently after a few discussions I had with other members of my hiking group. When I am trying to sort something out, I tend to ask other people questions so that I can maybe find an answer myself. Though I was initially wondering about my own love of backpacks, I started out asking people in general why they like to hike. I began by asking a couple of my fellow hikers what was up with this hiking business, why do they like to do it. I also looked at the personal profiles of people in my Meetup hiking group thinking that I would learn something from other people's answers to questions about why they hike. What I gathered is that although the answers are varied, there are some common denominators. People love the outdoors, they like communing with nature and getting exercise. There are places that they want to visit and hiking is also a physical challenge for them. All these reasons are great but I realized that they aren't precisely my reasons. The answers didn't really speak to my love of walking around with a backpack.  It occurred to me then that my initial question about why people like to hike might be the wrong question to ask. It would be better to consider what motivates me to get outside and take a walk with my heavy pack? Why do I love packing up that bag so much and buying backpacks in general?

The answer is simple and is tied to something from my childhood.  After some thinking about hiking and backpacks, I was lead to a memory I have of spending time at my grandma's house. It was a surprise to me to recall that as a kid I had enjoyed making backpacks!  Memories of sewing backpacks out of scraps from my grandma's fabric stash came right back to me as I thought about why I love my current set of backpacks. I used to get the fabric and cut it, use a simple running stitch to close it up on the sides, make the straps, and then pack the thing with a sandwich (Wonder bread with butter and homemade plum jam). I would then head out to the backyard to walk around and eat my lunch. It's pure nostalgia for me to think of warm sunny days in her garden, the smell of onions and dirt, and all of the various trees that my grandma had in her yard. And of course, I had my pack! 

Nowadays of course, I buy my packs and agonize over all of the details and the prices. Is it the "right" pack, etc. Packing the thing is also a challenge sometimes. The "Ten Essentials" must be included!  I also include items for my own comfort much as a woman or man might do with organizing their own purse or other type of bag.  My pack has room for layers of clothing, a hydration bladder, a first aid kit and extra socks. I could even stash some shoes inside if needed. And of course, there is food! I still love a good sandwich (though the choice now is of some vegan variety rather than butter and jam) and snacks to keep my energy level up. There is just something about setting out for the morning or day with everything that I need close by and strapped to my back. Generally, my hands are unencumbered (except for a hiking pole) and I just have to follow the trail. I am free to touch the dirt, to fondle lovingly non-poisonous leaves, and to dip my hands in any cool water that appears.  It's often just as simple as that. 

And that is what I love about having a day pack. Or several day packs. They produce a wonderful feeling of simplicity if done right and well. If I can push past my anxiety and all of the other ridiculousness, I can get to the pure joy of having a bag filled with goodies strapped to my back for just a few hours. The packs represent a kind of freedom and carefree feeling to me. A feeling of self sustainability and the notion that for a few hours, I can simply rely on myself. It's rather nice to be an adult yet have a kind of childlike feeling when I set off. It's a feeling that I look forward to each time I pack my bag. And it's also the reason I recommend buying a pack (any pack will do!) and walking around with it on your back, even if for just a little while. Oh, to be young again!

Libby
PS-Is there something that you do now or that you own which reminds you happily of your childhood in some way? Let me know in your comments!

Comments

  1. Love this Libby! Such a happy post!
    Yes, I understand that simple feeling of contentment and preparedness and how good it can feel. When I'm going on an outing with friends - often to a quilt show in New Hampshire or an all day adventure, I do the same thing with my handbag. I can't carry anything too heavy, so I've found a perfect bag with pockets, which holds things flat against my body without being too heavy. I stock it the night before with anything I might need during the day, put the long strap across my body, and my hands are free and I tend to stand up straighter.
    Maybe these things remind us of being little and our moms packing up our lunches with a sandwich and a napkin. But this time, we are the moms taking care of ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy-

    I love that you do the same thing too! And I think you are right on about our mom's taking care of us and then we take care of ourselves. Being self sufficient is such a great feeling and skill to have isn't it? Very comforting.

    Thanks for your comment Judy. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment but understand that I will not publish something hateful, mean spirited or irrelevant to the blog post.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Listen With Our Hearts: An Article and Some Artwork

Listen With Our Hearts 18" x 18" mixed media acrylic and painted papers Perhaps one of the hardest things to understand as an adult is how complex some issues can be. Human beings are complex creatures. We can both love and dislike someone simultaneously. We can break laws in the name of moral justice knowing full well that we are doing something illegal. And we can want to help someone whose values, reality or lifestyle may differ from our own beliefs. It's very complicated to be human. Things are not neat and tidy, very seldom are they black and white, and they almost never are static. Issues can be open for discussion and outcomes can often change long standing beliefs. As I said, it's hard. So, it was with a happy heart that I read a recent article last week  written by Billy Critchley-Menor, SJ and published in the Jesuit Post. The article highlights the efforts of an Argentinian nun to minister to the trans gendered community members in her area. It

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr