Skip to main content

Day 6 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep, Vegan Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my own experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information. 

_______________________________________

Well. That happened! My bowel prep regimen includes Dulcolax stimulant laxatives and Miralax (an osmotic and "laxative"). Let's just say that the laxatives nearly did me in yesterday. And that is saying something considering I have had the Norovirus and have undergone chemotherapy. A good time was not had by all!

I will be doing a repeat today (Monday) and adding on the Miralax (the generic is OK). I can hardly wait. I keep telling myself I only have to do it this one more time. In the meantime, I am weak and dizzy and have a bad "stomach" ache. (I put the word stomach in quotes because it is actually my abdomen that hurts but who wants to imagine your intestines being twisted into knots? That's exactly what it feels like.)

Right now I am currently enjoying my vegetable broth. I bought Progresso brand low sodium broth and added a couple of drops of Braggs liquid aminos to it. It isn't bad. Not sure I want to drink it all day but I guess I am going to. What choice do I have? None, that's what. I want the test done, I want the results, and I want to know what is wrong, if anything. I am struggling and trying hard to be an adult.

While these posts are meant to give some guidance to vegans on what to eat and a possible way to prep for this valuable screening test, I should also mention the reasons why I am going through all of this trouble in taking this test in the first place. I believe in this test as a screening tool for cancer. Also, it has been nearly a year and a half since I started having some difficulties with my bathroom "routine." And while my doctor has mentioned IBS, I don't actually know what, if anything, may be wrong. I do know that whatever it is, it is disrupting my life. This summer I turned into an undependable person who could not be counted on to show up for hikes. My routine and schedule is a distant memory. The whole situation has me depressed. And cranky. The bottom line is that I can't get anywhere with solving the problem if I don't have this test. And that's that. 

With all of that said, here are some observations from yesterday.

1. Eat as much as you can on the last day before your prep day. I became nauseous from the laxatives and couldn't each much of anything afterwards. It would have been good to have a little more food on board prior to starting.

2. There is no two ways about the fact that this whole process is incredibly disruptive. It's best not to fight this and to simply accept it. 

3. After the laxative debacle was over and several hours had passed, I was able to eat a bit. Just get up out of bed and eat something. Anything. It helps. 

4. The broth as a clear liquid option isn't bad. Add some soy sauce or liquid aminos to it if you choose a low sodium option. You could always make your own too.

5. Be as clear as possible about your prep instructions ahead of time. Trust me, you won't be thinking straight once you start and that is no time to try and sort things out. 

6. Drink all of the liquids you can in as many varieties as you are allowed. Liquids, believe it or not can be a little filling and also sort of make you feel like you are eating something. Sort of.

7. If you have family or other household members present, see if they can help you. My husband brought me water in bed yesterday which was really nice. He also got his own dinner ready, cleaned up, and watched TV on his own without complaining. I make him sound like a child but honestly, those are all of my tasks that I am now not doing.

8. If you aren't working, try to stay as busy as possible while you are feeling well. Having a sense of purpose helps the time to pass.

9. Know ahead of time about possible side effects from the medication. I was surprised about the nausea, chills and dizziness from the laxative tablets. 

10. If you can, make sure that your bed is clean and made. You are going to spend some time in it. Clean sheets help. Maybe you have a favorite blanket? Go get that and use it. My mom always told me that when you are sick, it's no good getting into an unmade bed with dirty sheets. She was right.

Well, That's it for now. I am on to do...something. Not sure what yet but something. (Oh wait! I know what I am going to be doing!)

Libby

libbyfife@ymail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr