Skip to main content

Day 4 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep, Vegan Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my own experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information. 

_______________________________________

This morning (Saturday) I tried a larger breakfast all at once rather than several smaller meals. I had a slice of sourdough toast, a small serving of mashed potatoes, green beans, and a pumpkin cookie. I also had a little bit of water to help things along. That's a starchy all carb. meal so we will see how long it lasts and what happens to my blood sugar. 

*Update to the above: Blood sugar was fine. I was still hungry.

Some things of note:

1. I am heartily sick of soft, boiled vegetables. Specifically, peeled carrots and green beans. Although on the flip side, I really enjoyed the carrot puree. I cooked the hell out of the carrots and then blended them in the food processor. They became light and airy like whipped cream. Dreamy. 

2. Also sick of tofu which, as you might guess, is not good news. I will bounce back from this one. 

3. Eating more at lunch was helpful though uncomfortable. A nap helped. 

4. I have a soup planned for after the procedure. I can't wait to eat beans again but I think I will blend them into the soup to make things easier on my stomach. We will see how I feel. Maybe I won't want to eat much.

5.  I have been able to stick with my exercise routine which is nice. I do enjoy my walks. My energy level seems fine too. People live on all sorts of diets by necessity and manage to thrive. This one thankfully is only a few days.

6. I have been drinking my water straight from the refrigerator. When it is cold like that for some reason it is easier to get down. Despite this tactic though I am still only drinking about 20 ounces or so a day. (This doesn't include coffee or juice.)

7. I am still very involved with myself with not much room for anything else. Wanting nearly seven days to pass so that you can get something over with isn't so great when you are my age. You really don't want any days to pass. 

And on that note!

Libby

libbyfife@ymail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th