Skip to main content

A Spoonful of Sugar...


This week has been a full one for me. I had a lovely hike with friends on Monday and met with my cousin and aunt Wednesday for lunch. Thursday I picked up my new orthotics and on Friday I watched a documentary on Netflix. In between those things, there has been the standard housework (laundry, cooking, etc.) and I have done a fair amount of Internet reading. Hey, you might ask, what have you been reading? Well, let me tell you!

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my coffee has seemed a little sweet. I am pretty liberal with the sugar, I admit. From past research I know that the recommended amount of added sugar per day for women (barring any medical conditions I would add) is 6 teaspoons. There are 4 grams of sugar in a teaspoon so that adds up to 24 grams of added sugar per day. Added sugar consists of sugar (any kind, doesn't matter what) that you yourself add to the food you prepare, bake or cook and sugar that is added to prepackaged, prepared food like from a supermarket or restaurant. (This is separate from naturally occurring sugar contained in fruits, vegetables, some beans and legumes, and other whole foods.) Since I am The Curious Housewife, I was, well, curious! How much added sugar am I really consuming each day?

Since I love reading food labels, I got right to work in my pantry and fridge. First, I listed all of the prepackaged foods that I eat that contain some type of sugar. (Remember to read the label and ingredient list!) There aren't that many products but there are some: chiefly, a few types of granola bars, vegan yogurt, my favorite bread, and Vegenaise. (I didn't count things like ketchup since I rarely use these types of condiments and I didn't count anything that Rich eats exclusively.) The hemp and almond milk that I drink is unsweetened so good news there. I do eat chocolate chips so bad news there! That was kind of it. But it was enough. More than enough in fact!

I was dismayed when I added up the amount of added sugar that I eat in a typical day. And in fact, I was irritated with myself for allowing such a lax approach. Then, I got a grip on myself and turned things around. How could I do better? Does it matter? (It does matter, and yes, I can do better.) The first thing I did was take the monk fruit and stevia sweeteners out of the cupboard and dusted the boxes off. These were going in the coffee instead of the sugar. (I didn't go cold turkey here. I still allowed a teaspoon of actual sugar for my coffee and grains and this has been more than enough.) That move cut down on 2 tsps of sugar right there. The other thing I did was to get real about those granola bars. I have been treating them as part of my dietary pattern rather than what they really are, which is a treat like dessert. (Or something to be eaten while on the trail, ahem!) The yogurt is really the same issue as the granola bars since it has about 17 grams of sugar per serving. That is about 4+ teaspoons of sugar! You wouldn't eat that straight up right so why is it OK in the yogurt? 

I was glad that I did this roundup. It may seem a little neurotic and perhaps a little too exacting but honestly, I have not read anything that says too much added sugar is good for you. (Let me know if you have, OK?) Nowhere is it written that added sugar in foods has any health benefits. It doesn't take a scientist (or any links) to suggest that sugar is just damn good and makes food quite palatable and pleasurable. Any child can tell you this as well as every adult. Sugar makes many things better. 

So what do you do if you would like to cut back? Or maybe just learn a little more about what sugar does in your body? Or maybe even why you might want to up your fruit and veggie intake to enjoy some naturally occurring sugar? Remember earlier that I mentioned doing some reading this week? Have I got some links for you!

Want to know some basics about added sugars? Here is a good link from the American Heart Association and also one from Harvard Health Publishing. This link from the New York Times talks about why we like sugar so much and how to wean ourselves off of it. I also enjoyed this link from Familydoctor.org. It's a little more in depth than the above two articles. And lastly, from the same site, is this link on sugar substitutes. 

I got excited about a few other things that I read this week. Maybe not excited in a good way, (like yippee!), but more in an agitated kind of way. I read this post from VeganRD about body shaming in the vegan community. I don't spend much time in this arena, with other vegans online, and so this post came as a surprise to me. I thought the author's "points to remember" were really good for all of us. Kindness and sensitivity never hurts. Ever. 

In line with the above topic, the author of Vegan RD (Ginny Messina) provided a link to a podcast that I listened to. It's on food and body shaming. It's 45 minutes long and worth the listen. I say this because I am certainly guilty of doing both things. I want to improve in this area so that I can understand and accept people better. If you are like me in that regard, this podcast is a good place to start.

I really did have a lot of things that I wanted to write about this week but finally settled on the above items which are somewhat related. I mentioned a documentary in the beginning. I recommend that highly if you have Netflix and want to be horrified about sugar consumption in the US and Australia. It's a white knuckler-jaw-dropping kind of experience. And I wanted to say this in closing. Many of the posts that I read this week had comments attached. They were amazing. People seem to want to argue; seem to need to drive their viewpoints home and steamroll other people in the process. It's careless in my opinion. I write about veganism because that is what I am interested in but I know it isn't the only viewpoint. I know that others do things differently and I hope to be respectful of that even if I disagree. I would only add that no matter what your diet is, no matter your size or health situation, kindness and understanding will always win. Be compassionate to those around you (yes, even the animals!) You won't go wrong! Now go forth and have a good weekend!
Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th