Skip to main content

Listen With Our Hearts: An Article and Some Artwork

Listen With Our Hearts
18" x 18" mixed media
acrylic and painted papers

Perhaps one of the hardest things to understand as an adult is how complex some issues can be. Human beings are complex creatures. We can both love and dislike someone simultaneously. We can break laws in the name of moral justice knowing full well that we are doing something illegal. And we can want to help someone whose values, reality or lifestyle may differ from our own beliefs. It's very complicated to be human. Things are not neat and tidy, very seldom are they black and white, and they almost never are static. Issues can be open for discussion and outcomes can often change long standing beliefs. As I said, it's hard.

So, it was with a happy heart that I read a recent article last week written by Billy Critchley-Menor, SJ and published in the Jesuit Post. The article highlights the efforts of an Argentinian nun to minister to the trans gendered community members in her area. It was good to read something both positive and uplifting despite the controversy of the subject matter. And make no mistake, the controversy around the Catholic Church and gender issues is very strong. But, the Sister's message was simple and clear: love people without judgement and with a pure heart. A difficult achievement for most humans but one that is worthy in striving for.

The above piece of artwork, made by me in response to that article, is simplistic in showing some standard symbols of love. I have included other elements that represent things I think but I am interested to know what other associations people might make. As I made the piece, I thought about tolerance, acceptance, and understanding. Understanding, I think, is where many people get caught up. Understanding asks us to put ourselves in the other person's shoes. It requires empathy. It's complicated, as they say. And while the above subject matter is intense and multi-faceted, (I mean to say that it can't be reduced to simple symbols), I very much wanted a simple piece of artwork, showing positive colors and elements. I thought that would most accurately reflect how I felt about the Sister's overall message to put love first. A good message for all of us.

Libby


PS: As with any issue, there are multiple viewpoints. This issue is no exception. I learned a new term today called "ideological colonization." I had to look this up. The article I read about it is here.

Comments

  1. Libby, thank you for creating this response piece to the wonderful article you shared. It is a beacon in this world that can be so dark. I have read the article about Sister Monica and feel inspired by her conscious work of helping without judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      This is the first time I am seeing your comment so thank you. I need to fix the notification from Blogger, obviously.

      Thank you for taking the time to read the article. I just felt that efforts like Sister Monica's are so important. every bit helps I think. Particularly when religious organizations appear to not be keeping up, it's important to highlight positive action.

      Thank you for your visit and comments. Libby

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment but understand that I will not publish something hateful, mean spirited or irrelevant to the blog post.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr