Skip to main content

It's My Anniversary!: Cookbook Review, Part 1 of 4 -Thug Kitchen:The Official Cookbook


*This blog post will appear in four parts, each part being a review of one specific book. Part 1 of 4  follows below:

As I was getting ready to write this post, it occurred to me that I might be the only one left using a cookbook (dinosaur that I am!). Turns out I am not that old fashioned and cookbooks are just as popular as ever though the nature of their content has changed. This article in the Huffington Post explains that while recipes are basically free on the Internet, people are still putting down hard earned money to purchase cookbooks. Cookbooks these days, however, are not just how-to manuals. They have become a kind of food focused novel with a good story, good characters, and insider information. People who buy cookbooks want recipes but they also want to be entertained. Content is important. Buyers want the background on the chefs and the cuisine.  A cookbook can focus on a well known chef or a hot regional cuisine. Even a way of life or a diet fad can be a selling point for a book. Cookbooks are still a treasured source of how to do something, a refernce book if you will, but are now a kind of entertainment too.  It's a good time to be a chef, a food blogger, or consumer if you think about it.

With the above trends in mind and to celebrate my one year anniversary of veganism, I thought I would give a rundown of  the books I bought when I first transitioned to this way of eating. I am notorious for buying books when I am trying something new and this time was no exception. I like to have something in my hand, such as a book, for reference. I enjoy writing notes for each recipe and being able to look things up. I want to make sure I am doing things right! Having a book in front of me really helps. And really, I just love books. They are better than a collection of miscellaneous recipes in a folder or having to constantly look at my phone. Books, to me, are the real deal!

Over the past year, four books have made it to my kitchen shelf. I use each of them regularly and for different reasons. Each book offers something to the user that is fairly unique. They are all good generalized introductions to a plant based way of eating. For my review, I focus on ease of use, my results, and the uniqueness of some of the content. I will point out some things too that I see as problems. So, here goes!

First up is a book called Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook, written by Thug Kitchen. This was my introductory book to vegan cooking and as such, it is a pretty good primer. The authors seek to demystify and generally tone down the level of cooking "talk", allowing us regular folk to understand common terms and basic ways of preparing food.  And because this is a vegan based cookbook, there is a lot of information about why a plant based diet is important. The reasons given focus on both a macro and micro viewpoint with regard to food selection, production, and individual health benefits.

So, who is this book written for? It seems like the audience might be the "eat-out-often-frozen-food-twenty-something" crowd. (The authors do maintain a website here, where they explain better their point of view.) Regardless of age, the book is a good read for someone just getting started in the kitchen or maybe someone with a little experience who wants to eat a home cooked meal more often. The book does a good job of reviewing the basics of a plant based pantry, gives tips on measuring accurately and following recipes more carefully, making substitutions, and what kitchen tools/gadgets you might need to get started. You also get a good basic introduction to preparing some common vegan foods such as tofu and tempeh. 

Some of the recipes are fairly standard vegan fair. Many though go beyond that. I have enjoyed the whole wheat banana pancakes, roasted potato salad with fresh herbs, 5 spice fried rice with sweet potatoes, and chocolate chip and almond butter cookies. They have all come out as expected and I would make them again. 

There aren't any complicated methods or exotic ingredients. The recipes are straightforward with easy to follow instructions. The book is suitable for someone with some cooking experience. I would say that the skill level needed is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I think the authors have done a good job of targeting a specific audience: those among us who may be sick of eating out and not getting a healthy meal, or maybe just want to eat better but don't know where to start. They try hard to make the ideas accessible to the everyday person. 

The best feature though of this book for someone my age comes under the category of "ease of use." The text of the book is big enough, the font is dark and readable, and the ingredient list/step-by-step instructions are clear. There are no portion sizes given, however, and no calorie content so it isn't a suitable book for anyone who wants that information. I also found that the yields of many of the recipes are more than expected, at least for me. 

The big drawback to this book for many people of course will be the language. The authors' point of view/style of writing is that of a pseudo street "thug", for lack of a better term. Or maybe "street" language is the way to describe it. (In their defense, I think this is part of their efforts to make cooking and cooking terms more accessible, in a way. It's a specific appeal.)  Be warned though,the book is riddled with the "F" word. It's even in the title. If you can't take that, there are other books that will work fine. If it doesn't bother you, this is a great first cookbook for a new vegan and quite a hilarious read if you are into that sort of thing. I tend to pull this book out when I am casting about for ideas. Sometimes I just read it for no particular reason other than to be entertained. It's that kind of a cookbook.

I hope this first review has been helpful. If there are specidfic questions or points please email me: libbyfife@ymail.com. Stay tuned for part 2/4. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th