Skip to main content

Big Trees and The Bigger Picture

Big Trees State Park, Arnold, CA

It must seem like I write a lot about hiking! It's both a solo and group activity that I do once a week, weather permitting. Hiking is a great chance to get outside for some exercise, to explore the area in which you live and generally, to clear your mind.  Hiking by myself is great, I like the solitude and time to think, but I also enjoy hiking with other people. Specifically, I love observing other people. Listening to them, watching to see what catches their eye, and just generally being in someone else's company for a little while is very enjoyable.  

I think, too, that walking along with someone for any length of time and listening to them, provides a learning opportunty. It's a chance to discover something about that person and in the process, to find out something about myself. It's my belief that we gain insight into our own personalities (and our world)  through watching and listening to other people. I love getting the chance to see other people in action, to listen to what they say (and don't say) and to watch how they do things. It presents a real opportunity for reflection and growth. And I like that. Get a hike in, learn about someone else, and possibly gain some personal insight. Nothing wrong with that!

Not that long ago, I had the opportunity to hike with a small group of women, some of whom I know fairly well and three new-ish ladies that I had only met once before. The day started with a beautiful morning, clear and warm. We began the hike and right away there was a problem. One of the women couldn't keep up and requested that the group not wait for her. We agreed, knowing that the route was easy to follow and that her husband was with her in case anything happened. The second thing that occurred, gradually as the hike progressed, was that one of the other women was clearly struggling to move along, even at a slower pace. Though we made lots of stops to take pictures and drink water, she was still having a hard time. We eventually made it to the halfway point of the hike (a creek) and decided to rest for a bit.

As the group stood by the creek, talking and looking around, I had the chance to consider things. I realized that I was irritated with the way the hike was unfolding. Specifically, I was annoyed with these two women. Why had the one woman come on this hike if she wasn't physically able to do it? Why was the other woman struggling so much? Didn't they both realize that they were negatively impacting the group? My impatience started to grow. It wasn't long before I was regretting helping to lead this hike.

I should mention that it's nerve wracking for me to witness someone else struggling to keep up with the group. It's difficult for me to not feel responsible for that person's welfare and how the group may be impacted should something happen. These hiking outings, organized through an online social group, are voluntary of course and the hike "leaders" aren't actually leaders in a true sense. They are simply organizers and not essentially responsible for anyone or what happens. Still. It's disconcerting to watch anyone have a hard time. When I watch that person, I see myself and think that it could easily be me. 

As I stood by watching the group, I thought about the remaining woman who was physically having a hard time keeping up but who appeared to be enjoying herself nonetheless. I tried to consider what I would do if I were in her shoes. Would I have signed up for this hike? Would I be standing around now, laughing and enjoying myself despite some difficulties?   I didn't have any answers. Finally, in frustration, I just gave it up. 

The problem of what to do when someone falls behind on a hike or maybe should not have signed up to begin with, felt unsolvable at that moment. To distract myself from the unanswerable questions and my own circular thoughts, I absently looked at the creek instead. Amid the noise of the talking, both interanl and external, I heard the water's small, quiet sounds. Some kind of insect was buzzing around and I heard that too. I looked at the plants growing along the banks and thought what it would be like to be a plant; how it must take some patience to endure the rain and heat and snow. I turned my thoughts inward again and realized that I was lacking in something. Maybe a little empathy and understanding. Perhaps some kindness was needed on my part towards these two women. 

Having patience with yourself and with others isn't always easy to do. I find though that thinking about things in a somewhat persistent but gentle way can often lead to small insights; little reminders about something that I may have forgotten. Despite my irritation, which was beginning to fade away, I gradually found myself overwhelmed with a sense of joy. Somehow I felt connected to the very people that I was unhappy with. I realized something that I had lost sight of in my frustration. We are all in it together, responsible for one another in a way that isn't always easy to define. This doesn't mean that others aren't accountable for their own actions. It simply means that we are connected. Interconnections cause someone else's problems to become your problems. You take on a heightened sense of someone else's suffering and happiness, develop a feeling of empathy, and as a result, it's easier to offer words of kindness instead of words of anger, both to yourself and to others. For better or for worse, we are our brother's keeper. 

Libby 

Comments

  1. Everyone starts at the beginning. Everyone.
    Could you have been a hiking buddy with the struggling woman? maybe slow your pace to enjoy her company?

    Maybe in future hiking announcements you might detail the requirements more specifically. Some groups will say something that qualifies the candidates encouraging them to join only after passing certain achievement points. It doesn't have to be harsh; simply a reminder this is a hike for seasoned hikers and not for beginners.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment but understand that I will not publish something hateful, mean spirited or irrelevant to the blog post.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th