Skip to main content

Cookbook Review #2 of 4/ Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking

This blog post will appear in four parts, each part being a review of one specific book. Part 2 of 4  follows below:

The Minimalist Baker's  website was one of the first resources that I found when I began my research into a plant based way of eating. I experimented with an apple carrot beet ginger juice.  At this stage of the game, everything was brand new to me: juicing, macro bowls, bean burgers from scratch and tofu prepared in an infinite number of ways. It was all a little exotic and foreign, particularly the flavor profiles. I found Dana Schultz's site (AKA The Minimalist Baker) to offer a generous number of introductory recipes that helped me get used to some basic vegan ingredients and ways of preparing food.

Most food/cooking bloggers/authors have a "point of view" or a cooking aesthetic. There tends to be a concentration on categories of food (vegan, vegetarian, paleo, etc.) coupled with something a little less objective and more touchy-feely. Terms like "comfort food", "clean eating",  "simple ingredients" or "raw food" can give the reader an idea of the bloggers food philosophy. As mentioned in my first post, sometimes cookbook authors/food bloggers may have a partiuclar regional influence as well. An example may be that the author focuses on "southern comfort food." 

Schultz's claim to fame, as the title of her blog suggests, is that the recipes require ten ingredients or less, take 30 minutes or less, and only require one bowl. She is generous and welcomes all eaters to her blog site. As an aside, and I do recommend reading Dana's blog, the site itself has a fun, hip feel to it. Her voice is kind of light hearted and quirky. There is very little personal talk, just enough for some interest but not so much that you are rushing to the recipe part because of TMI.

Her cookbook, Minimalist's Bakers Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant Based, Mostly Gluten Free, Easy and Delicious recipes, is based on the same premises as her website and has the same kind of feel. She offers easy redo's of many familiar recipes. These are recipes that we may all recognize, such as a classic lasagne or 3 bean chili, only made with vegan ingredients. She has also included a wide variety of typical vegan foods as well as the more unusual: have you ever had a spicy jackfruit sandwich? There are many recipes to get a new vegan intersted in cooking. The book covers all of the bases, offering breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas as well as dessert and essential vegan condiments. There is also a section in the back which lists essential vegan pantry items and to Schultz's infinite credit, a list of nutrtional information for each recipe. The book is thorough, with quite enough information to get the new vegan started but also to keep the attention of those who have been eating a plant based diet for awhile.

The cookbook is setup in some very helpful ways. Prep and cook times are provided for each recipe. Ingredients are broken down by step and the steps themselves are very logical. It's always good for me when the photo of the finished food and the recipe can each be viewed simultaneously. This isn't always possible so expect that for this book, you may be flipping back and forth between pages to get the complete recipe. All in all, this book is a great read and fun to use. It's a good size and lays flat on the counter too. Double bonus!

I have made several of her recipes so far with good results. The Thai baked sweet potatoes are good and the chili is now my main chili recipe. I also made the carrot, potato and chickpea curry recipe. That was quite good too. There are many recipes left to explore and I feel confidant that they will turn out well. This cookbook would be good for someone with some basic cooking experience. The directions are easy to follow and the cooking terms quite simple to understand. The beautiful photography helps to enhance the whole experience!

I have one major complaint and a comment about this book and the recipes offered.  The first issue has to do with both the font size and the font selection. The font size is just a little too small and the font style is a little too complex. (It actually feels like there may be several font styles in use though I couldn't say for sure.) This sounds nit picky but for anyone with mildly poor eyesight, both things will be a problem. Many of the fraction numbers are impossible to make out without squinting and in general, the fonts could be darker. The workaround here is of course good lighting and a magnifying glass at hand. The second issue has to do with nutritional requirements. If fat, sodium, and cholesterol intake are considerations for you, please know that many of the recipes will need to be modified. (This isn't a specific diet type of book, so I wasn't expecting recipes conforming to any guidelines anyway.) The problems are not enough, however, to deter anyone interested from purchasing the book.

I hope that the above information is helpful for anyone searching for a good and solid vegan cookbook. Be sure to check out Dana's blog as well where you can test out some recipes and get a feel for things before purchasing the book.

Stay tuned for the next review!
Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr