Skip to main content

Get Outside!: A Perscription for Hiking and How Far is Too Far?


Round Top Mountain and The Three Sisters-Carson Pass area, CA
This past week I went on a lovely hike up highway 88, near the Carson Pass area of California. There is still plenty of snow though much of it has melted. People are hiking, boating, kayaking, and generally enjoying the cooler weather afforded by the higher altitudes. I had a wonderful time with my hiking buddies walking up and down hills, checking out wildflowers and being rewarded at the top of the ridge with a view all the way to Lake Tahoe! At the end of the day, I was tired, happy to get home, a little keyed up but very peaceful.

It was a coincidence then that the next day I happened upon this article in a magazine. The premise of the idea sounds very familiar! Have you heard of the term ecopsychology? I hadn't either but the idea of it is probably familiar for many people even though they may not know about the formal field of study. Ecopsychology studies the relationships between humans and the natural world using both principles of psychology and ecology. The idea is to reunite people with their environment in order to create closer connections with others, to foster a sense of personal well being, and to hopefully bring about practices that support a more sustainable way of living in the world. Though we are surrounded today by technology, we evolved in the natural world. This field of study seeks to emphasize the connection between how we evolved and how we currently live.


Fascinated? Me too. I learned through another article that some doctors have begun participating in pilot programs that advocate getting out in nature as a prescription for physical or emotional illnesses. The doctors write an actual prescription that tell patients in a sense to "connect with their environment." Imagine walking into a doctor's office, maybe with a mild injury or maybe just feeling disconnected and disjointed. The doctor sums up your situation and prescribes you time outside. It's a wonder to me that a doctor could actually advocate for and order you to spend time at a park or in your garden or maybe out on the trail somewhere. Amazing!

Please consider reading the above two links that talk about ecopsychology and what an activity, such as hiking, can do to help your mental and physical health.

I read two other articles this week that I would like to share. I mention them because as a trying-hard-vegan and a consumer and a realist, I feel my choices are based in part about how I feel about living in the world. Am I impacting the planet in an adverse way and what really can I do to minimize that impact? Do my choices matter and can I really make any difference? Am I doing enough? Many of the choices I make involve me considering the energy required to produce and deliver food. Fossil fuels, their procurement and distribution, are very controversial topics. These two articles speak indirectly to energy production and its consequences. 

1. The Valve Turners: Many people would argue that extreme issues call for extreme actions. Yet breaking the law to bring about change isn't everyone's cup of tea. How far can a person go and will their actions really reverse something that seems irreversible? The link is to a good (but biased) article in the New York Times Magazine about a group of people called The Valve Turners. Protests and protesting are very much in the news these days. Read on to see where you stand.

2. Propping Up Power Companies:  And here is the other side of the coin; the reality of policy in the US with regard to certain types of energy production(fossil fuels) and the supposed risk to our national security. The attempt to manipulate the types of power that we use can have wide spread consequences. The link to the article in Bloomberg is here

I hope everyone has had a good week. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr