Skip to main content

Can I get a Cuppa?



Cowell Creek, Arnold Rim Trail, Arnold, CA
This last week I was on the hunt for some decaffeinated coffee. Easier said than done, apparently. For many years now we have bought our coffee at Costco. I haven't even looked at the coffee aisle in a regular grocery store in a very long time. Because of this, I have missed some important trends in the coffee industry. In a nutshell, a consumer's choices are now endless. Looking at all of the tiny little packages was nearly stupefying. I felt under equipped to choose, given my lowly BA degree. A person needs some kind of PhD in Coffeeology to even figure out what is what. 

I got home from the store and wondered what the hell had happened. I did a little research and turns out it's those damn Millennials again. In an article by Forbes here and another miscellaneous article here it's easy to see why there are so many choices at the grocery store. Nearly gone are the larger cans of basic coffee. Replacing them are these smaller 12 oz bags of highly specialized coffee: ground or whole bean, flavored, light roast or dark roast, you name it. And don't get me started on K cups. Then there is the issue of Fair Trade. And organic. Have workers been treated fairly and been paid a living wage? Is the coffee company giving back to the community from which it takes the coffee? What about the rain forest? (It's a big deal. Shade coffee versus coffee grown in the sun can make all the difference in sustainable land management.) It's just not possible to buy a can (or teeny tiny bag) of coffee without freaking out. And try finding decaf. Even though there is still a demand for this type of coffee, there doesn't seem to be many choices. Honestly. I just want to do the right thing which is apparently a choice equivalent to the size of a Trenta cup of iced coffee from Starbucks. 

So what then is the relationship between the beautiful photo shown above and my rant about the coffee? None really except if you can imagine cutting all of that beauty down to plant coffee plants then you might see why I have some angst about buying the right coffee. Choices really do matter.

I thought I might offer up some other ideas that I came across this week. Check below for some thoughts and links.

1. Family Cloths Speaking of being behind on trends, did you know that many people have ditched their toilet paper and have turned to something called "family cloth"? Nope, me either. I decided to give it a try since I love the trees and all. I am not totally in just yet but am doing things in a partial way. Enough said.

2. What Life Was Like Before Vaccines: This is a great article from The Berkeley Wellness site. It's one woman's perspective on what life was like before vaccines. (This topic is a loaded one so this article is only meant to provide one historical narrative.)

3. New Questions About Alcohol's Benefits: Another article from the Berkeley Wellness site, this one casts some doubt on something I think many of us took for granted: alcohol (wine specifically) in moderation can be good for you. 

4. Exercising For Older Adults: Are you (or someone you love) fearful about exercising and possibly getting hurt? Worry no more! This article proposes that the benefits of exercise for older adults almost always outweighs the risks. The usual caveats about existing medical conditions and checking with your doctor apply, but there is almost no downside for an older adult who continues to exercise. 

Despite feeling like a curmudgeon this week because of the Coffee Episode, I still had a nice time. A great hike, beautiful weather and some solid peace and quiet really helped. Hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as well. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment but understand that I will not publish something hateful, mean spirited or irrelevant to the blog post.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr