Skip to main content

A Hike and a Helping Hand

Duck Lake, Carson Pass Area, CA
Yesterday was a very blessed kind of day. My hiking buddies and I enjoyed a wonderful outing up at the Carson Pass area. We hiked from the Information Station to Duck Lake (shown above), on to Lake Winnemucca and then on to Round Top Lake. The weather was perfect and the views were beautiful. Things were pretty perfect.

On the return portion of our hike, however, we encountered a problem. Nearly a mile from completing the hike, we came upon four hikers. One of the hikers was in distress, draped over a rock, and suffering from a probable combination of dehydration, heat stress, some level of altitude sickness and insufficient food intake. She was responsive but not talking. The group asked us for water. Thanks to one of the ladies in my group, we had plenty of extra water to offer. We did what we could to make the hiker comfortable and stayed with the group until help arrived. Search and Rescue arrived first, assessing the situation, and then the paramedics showed up to finish things and to transport the hiker to a nearby hospital. 

I say that we had a blessed day, not only because of the good outcome, but because I learned some really important things by watching yesterday's events unfold. I think these things are worth passing along. 

1.  Be prepared: Whether you are taking a short walk, going on a longer hike, or even just a trip to the park, have the right things with you: water, food, clothes that shield the sun or elements, proper and well fitting foot gear, and a basic first aid kit. Have your identification on you as well.

2. Know your route: It goes without saying that a good map is critical. If you are just going on an established nature walk for example, then the map from the facility offering the walk might be sufficient. Anything else though requires more information. A map with elevation numbers, contour lines, and a key for distance is helpful. And do your homework beforehand. The hikers we encountered yesterday had no idea that the elevation where they were hiking was so high (or what that could mean). Their home was at 5000 ft and they were hiking at about 9000 ft. As this article states, altitude makes a huge difference. 

3. Drink (and bring) plenty of water, more than you think you want: We were told yesterday by one of the hikers that the woman in trouble hadn't drunk enough water. And in fact, after talking with them, it was apparent that they didn't have enough water between the four of them. My own experience with dehydration taught me that taking more water than you need is critical. Becoming dehydrated is insidious. It creeps up on you and by the time you realize it, it may be a little too late. I now carry electrolyte tablets in my pack (to add to water) and have added Aquatabs and an extra container in case I need to purify extra water. For a short jaunt in a city park, these things may seem excessive. For anything else, including a trip in the car, they really are necessary. 

4. Have your medical info. on your person: One of the first questions asked of the hiker yesterday was did she know what type of medications she was taking. She could only nod her head yes or no in answer; she couldn't speak. It came out that she had high blood pressure and was taking medication for that. (High blood pressure can be aggravated by altitude.) Although I carry my medical history, list of medications and surgeries, and contact information (including the number of my cardiologist) in my wallet, I realized that my hiking buddies didn't know this. And they wouldn't know where to look for it. I resolved to do a couple of things: get a medical bracelet, inform my hiking crew of my medical info each time I go out with them, and make sure they know where my first aid kit/medical info is in my pack. What if I couldn't speak for myself?

5. Be honest about your physical abilities: I learned this from first experience a while ago. Just because you used to be in shape or even if you do some physical activity every day, you won't necessarily be prepared for hiking. Even a hike listed as "easy" can quickly turn strenuous due to weather, altitude, physical condition, medical conditions, medications, lack of water or food, and any other number of things. Seasoned, well conditioned hikers have perished in the Grand Canyon due to heat exhaustion and dehydration. My own hiking experience is limited, but I can tell you that I have talked with more people who were very surprised that they were struggling on a hike. These are people that used to be in shape, have hiked extensively in the past, but who are now trying to get back to hiking. It's tough. My only answer is to be honest about what kind of shape you are currently in. Not how you used to be but how you are now. The comment from one of the hikers yesterday was that the downed hiker essentially bit off more than she could chew.

6. Inform your hiking group of any issues: One of my hiking buddies belongs to another hiking group and she told me that they all tell each other right at the start of the hike if they are experiencing any problems that day. Tiredness, hurt feet, a headache, or just getting over a cold. These are all things to let your fellow hikers know about. 

7. Be brutally honest: Having experienced this myself, it's embarrassing to have to tell someone that you don't feel well and are struggling. It's also really frightening to realize it and accept it. It definitely feels like a chink in your mortal armor. The sooner you do it, however, the more likely you are of getting help. We learned yesterday that the downed hiker had been struggling for awhile. While it would have been disappointing for the other hikers to turn around early, that may in fact have been the best solution for everyone. People are wonderfully patient and forgiving. Even if you are in the midst of embarrassment and maybe want to cry a little, people will help you. And you won't die from the shame or attention. 

8. Keep calm and talk in a normal voice: The experience yesterday was a first for me. I have never seen anyone in distress like that. I watched everyone closely though to see how they were handling things. It's different of course for the people directly experiencing the crisis. People who are helping, however, have a unique opportunity to help to calm others down. Quiet, soothing tones are a good start. Reassuring words work. I watched my hiking buddy gently place her hands on the downed hiker, reassuring her and talking to her soothingly. What a miracle of kindness to witness. And in the end, the hikers all thanked us for being so calm and helpful. There were lots of hugs too. In this day and age where you can't touch anyone anymore, it was reassuring that maybe the human touch is still welcomed in some cases. Still needed. 

I learned some other things too yesterday. People are willing to help. They want to. I watched my hiking buddy pull one thing after another out of her pack, trying to find some way to help the downed hiker. I also learned that we are better as a group. Being an individual is fine. We are all taught to be strong, to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps, but honestly sometimes you need other people. There is strength in numbers. And there is no shame in that. I also realized (finally!) that just like baseball, soccer or basketball, hiking is a sport. It isn't walking. It's an activity that requires conditioning, practice, fine motor skills, the right equipment, and a very large dose of humility. It is a very mental endeavor. When faced with physical limitations, such as sucking in large amounts of air going up a hill, you mental state can quickly plummet. Resilience is the key to survival here. 

And did I say it was a blessed day? Yes, I did. Not blessed because things ultimately went well but blessed because of all of the pieces of the puzzle that came together to make the outcome a good one.: trained first responders, thoughtful individuals with extra supplies who were willing to share, optimal weather, and dare I say, a force beyond any of us moving quietly in the background. Yes, a blessed day indeed!

Thanks,
Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th