Skip to main content

Out of The Mouths of Babes...

Dehydrated "fruit and veggie" sort of roll ups

It's always a struggle for me to get enough fruits and vegetables. I sneak them in where I can (muffins, smoothies, veggie spreads on toast) but I still feel like I could do better. The other day I was in the health food store, sort of just standing in the aisle staring into space. All of a sudden I refocused and realized that I was looking at the baby foods.  Oh, to be a baby again! What a beautiful assortment of packaging! I started looking at and reading the labels of these little pouches of organic fruit and vegetable mixes. It all looked so good. And healthy. Most brands had no added sodium or sugar-just fruits and vegetables. It dawned on me that these would be great snacks. Most are under 100 calories and are loaded with things like potassium, vitamin A and C, and even iron. I pictured sucking one of these down while hiking or as a pick me up in the afternoon before dinner. The thought of doing this was a little embarrassing at first but then I figured, why not?

About a week passed before I tried one of the pouches. I was a little nervous about eating baby food. I needn't have been. Turns out it is a whole trend with its detractors and supporters. I should have remembered from the nutrition class that I took years ago that there are many reasons why people might be on a pureed or liquid diet. Difficulty swallowing, stomach surgery, cancer, you name it, there can be many reasons why solid food won't work for someone. (It should be remembered that these are temporary situations. In most cases, baby food for adults as a way of long term eating likely won't work.) Anyhow, I tried the pouch of peas and sweet potatoes. It was fine but a little bland. I added some no salt seasoning and that perked things right up. Okay then.

Fast forward to my new dehydrator purchase. (More snack related news.) As I was testing out the fruits and veggies, I saw the recipe for fruit roll ups. It sounded to me like the recipe called for pureed fruit. Well, what is baby food if not pureed fruits and vegetables? I added some of my favorite nut and seed mixture for some nutritional heft. The "roll up" turned out fine though I think I spread it too thin and perhaps cooked it too long. (See the above photo.) No matter. I broke the dehydrated sheet of fruit puree into pieces and it tastes just fine. I may be onto something!

I wanted to share some reading that I have done this week. To begin with, I follow the writing of Gena Hamshaw. She writes a lovely and sensitively written food blog called The Full Helping. Gena covers vegan recipes but also writes about nutrition and wellness. Every weekend she has a sort of "wrap up" post where she offers articles that she has come across the previous week that may be of interest to her readers. In the spirit of following a good idea, I wanted to share what I had come across myself this week. So here goes:

1. I recently started fermenting my own vegetables. Although I began this as a way to eat more veggies, there are many health benefits to fermented foods. Yogurt (vegan too), tempeh and any number of types of sauerkraut can all be beneficial.  The Berkeley Wellness newsletter offers a great "starter" article on why fermented foods might be a good addition to your diet.

2. Want a banana? Think again! Apparently I am the last person to learn about Bananapocalypse. This article in Forbes Magazine by Steven Savage explains why it's important to step back from the furor over Big Ag and ask about current practices in raising produce and why some of those seemingly irrational practices might be rational.

3. I found the article link on Gena's blog (mentioned above) about the benefits of soy and why now the FDA might be downgrading soy's rating as a star food. Soy as part of a well rounded diet could certainly have benefits for many people when it comes to reducing heart disease risk by lowering bad cholesterol, LDL. The question still seems to be by just how much.

4. Lastly, I have started to cut back on my caffeine consumption. I think it was making me a little sick in the morning. I have now gone half and half which seems to be helping. This Web MD article explains the connection between caffeine, insulin and blood sugar. There are also many posts on the Internet talking about high blood sugar and caffeine. And while I don't have type 2 diabetes, if something is making me feel unwell, why continue it?

As always, the above comments are my own opinions and are based on my own experiences. I hope anyone reading enjoys the articles. Happy memorial Day weekend!
Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Listen With Our Hearts: An Article and Some Artwork

Listen With Our Hearts 18" x 18" mixed media acrylic and painted papers Perhaps one of the hardest things to understand as an adult is how complex some issues can be. Human beings are complex creatures. We can both love and dislike someone simultaneously. We can break laws in the name of moral justice knowing full well that we are doing something illegal. And we can want to help someone whose values, reality or lifestyle may differ from our own beliefs. It's very complicated to be human. Things are not neat and tidy, very seldom are they black and white, and they almost never are static. Issues can be open for discussion and outcomes can often change long standing beliefs. As I said, it's hard. So, it was with a happy heart that I read a recent article last week  written by Billy Critchley-Menor, SJ and published in the Jesuit Post. The article highlights the efforts of an Argentinian nun to minister to the trans gendered community members in her area. It

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th