Skip to main content

You Just Need To Eat Some Meat...

On more than one occasion now, well meaning people, people that I care about, have told me that "I just need to eat some meat." This well meaning comment is usually made during a meal out when I am searching the menu for something to eat that will work for my vegan diet. I try to laugh a bit or say something helpful and explanatory but honestly, the directive just irritates me.  It's not likely that I am going to eat meat just because the menu at the restaurant doesn't cater to my needs. I may be frustrated but it's not likely that I am going to look the other way and just have some chicken because that is the easiest choice. The directive to just eat some meat makes me feel like my friend or relative doesn't quite understand my beliefs or convictions. (It's important to note here that people do care and want to make sure that I am getting adequate nutrition. Not everyone has researched being healthy on a vegan diet so they may not know.) But trust me, I am not going to starve because I am being stubborn and sticking to my principles. I'll simply find something appropriate to eat. (And I will remember next time to try and check the menu in advance or to plan a little better.)

This issue of eating meat though, whether to do it or not, and whether or not it is healthy, is an ongoing debate. The arguments for and against meat eating are contentious and fraught with contradiction, cultural parameters, and societal norms. There is History behind meat eating. Just a quick search of the Internet comes up with many opposing viewpoints. We are meant to eat meat, we are not meant to eat meat. Our ancestors did it so we should do it. Our industrialized society is set up for mass production of meat, it's what we have always done, and we should continue to do it. A plant based diet is our only hope for a sustainable food supply for the future, forget the mass production of meat. Emotions that center around a meat eating way of life run high, especially here in the West where we have a history of cattle  production. The arguments for and against meat as a diet staple seem especially ridiculous too in light of the fact that so many people in the world go without the necessary nutrition and do in fact suffer from food insecurity. It's tough for anyone to make an argument for such a specialized "optional" diet as veganism when people are starving to death.


With all of that said however, and with all the food that is available, why would someone choose to stick to a vegan diet? What's wrong with eating a little meat now and then, especially in a pinch when the food selection is limited? I can only say that for me, the common thread in the argument to not eat meat is choice. I have the ability (and means) to chose. It's that ability to chose that gives me power to support the causes that I feel strongly about and that I would prefer not to compromise on. Just as others choose (for whatever reasons) to eat a diet which includes meat, I choose to eat a diet that does not. And I'll tell you a little secret. I like my choices. I like eating plants. I like not having to eat animals. It all makes me happy and makes me feel like my choices are positive and that at least in this tiny way, I am helping to contribute to something better that I believe in. So no, I won't be "eating a little meat" anytime soon. Not if I can help it and not so long as I have a choice. And now I am off to have my banana smoothie with almond butter and chia seeds. I just know I am going to enjoy it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 of 7: Colonoscopy Prep: Vegan/Plant Based Style

It seems these days that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to documenting one's experience of anything. Doesn't seem to matter how trivial or important that experience is so long as it is either recorded and published via a video or a still picture or a carefully crafted written work. Everything is fair game. In the spirit of that no-limits approach and nothing-is-too-boring approach, I will be documenting my experience. It's not just any experience, mind you. It's the experience of a vegan/plant centered person and it's mine! I will be writing for the full seven days about what is working and what isn't. I hope you will follow along and maybe at the same time, I can provide some useful information.  ______________________________________________________ In April of this year I turned 50. I was looking forward to that, had a nice day in fact, and went on about my business after celebrating quietly. Just another birthday you say? Hardly. The age is significa

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many pr

Completing a Puzzle

Puzzled 2016-Painted paper collage on board I love mulling over ideas! Lately, I have been thinking a lot about creativity: how is it defined, what does it look like, and what are the ways in which we use it? In the past, I believed that only artists were creative. If you weren't making something such as a painting or a piece of pottery then you weren't creative. It's only recently that I have come to view the word "creative" differently. Being creative can mean more than making something with your hands. It can also refer to the ways in which we think. That statement may seem obvious but I think that we often overlook just how creative we can get when we put our minds to it, literally! Creativity, flexing your creative muscles, can happen in a number of different ways and in many contexts.  Just as there are endless varieties of people and activities, there are also many different ways to be creative. Creativity shows up in our everyday lives more often th