Skip to main content

You Just Need To Eat Some Meat...

On more than one occasion now, well meaning people, people that I care about, have told me that "I just need to eat some meat." This well meaning comment is usually made during a meal out when I am searching the menu for something to eat that will work for my vegan diet. I try to laugh a bit or say something helpful and explanatory but honestly, the directive just irritates me.  It's not likely that I am going to eat meat just because the menu at the restaurant doesn't cater to my needs. I may be frustrated but it's not likely that I am going to look the other way and just have some chicken because that is the easiest choice. The directive to just eat some meat makes me feel like my friend or relative doesn't quite understand my beliefs or convictions. (It's important to note here that people do care and want to make sure that I am getting adequate nutrition. Not everyone has researched being healthy on a vegan diet so they may not know.) But trust me, I am not going to starve because I am being stubborn and sticking to my principles. I'll simply find something appropriate to eat. (And I will remember next time to try and check the menu in advance or to plan a little better.)

This issue of eating meat though, whether to do it or not, and whether or not it is healthy, is an ongoing debate. The arguments for and against meat eating are contentious and fraught with contradiction, cultural parameters, and societal norms. There is History behind meat eating. Just a quick search of the Internet comes up with many opposing viewpoints. We are meant to eat meat, we are not meant to eat meat. Our ancestors did it so we should do it. Our industrialized society is set up for mass production of meat, it's what we have always done, and we should continue to do it. A plant based diet is our only hope for a sustainable food supply for the future, forget the mass production of meat. Emotions that center around a meat eating way of life run high, especially here in the West where we have a history of cattle  production. The arguments for and against meat as a diet staple seem especially ridiculous too in light of the fact that so many people in the world go without the necessary nutrition and do in fact suffer from food insecurity. It's tough for anyone to make an argument for such a specialized "optional" diet as veganism when people are starving to death.


With all of that said however, and with all the food that is available, why would someone choose to stick to a vegan diet? What's wrong with eating a little meat now and then, especially in a pinch when the food selection is limited? I can only say that for me, the common thread in the argument to not eat meat is choice. I have the ability (and means) to chose. It's that ability to chose that gives me power to support the causes that I feel strongly about and that I would prefer not to compromise on. Just as others choose (for whatever reasons) to eat a diet which includes meat, I choose to eat a diet that does not. And I'll tell you a little secret. I like my choices. I like eating plants. I like not having to eat animals. It all makes me happy and makes me feel like my choices are positive and that at least in this tiny way, I am helping to contribute to something better that I believe in. So no, I won't be "eating a little meat" anytime soon. Not if I can help it and not so long as I have a choice. And now I am off to have my banana smoothie with almond butter and chia seeds. I just know I am going to enjoy it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six Month Marker: My Reflections on Veganism

My new friend! Photo by author  It has been six months now since I elected to go vegan. Switching to this way of eating has occurred gradually over the last couple of years and was prompted by a desire to eat in a way that was personally more meaningful and more healthful.  I have been treated for cancer and heart disease and so choosing a healthy plant based diet is part of my life plan in dealing with the aftermath of those conditions. Additionally, I really want to match my food choices with how I feel about animals; that they are sentient beings just like humans and that every last one of us are God's creatures, no matter how small or large or seemingly insignificant. In an overall way then, it's important for me to honor both my health and my beliefs. Veganism helps me to support both of those priorities. As with many types of lifestyle changes, the process of going vegan has been slow. It is still a work in progress. Shopping for food is problematic. Many p...

Why I Have Many Backpacks Yet Only Have One Back!

Taking a rest at Lake Hogan, Valley Springs, CA What is it with me and backpacks? The one pictured in the photo above is now a few months old and came from Gossamer Gear.  I purchased it during a Labor Day sale. Did I need another pack? No! My main pack is an Osprey Skimmer 30 , also purchased last year during a sale. Both packs are what is termed a "daypack" and they each serve different purposes for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, I also own a smaller hydration pack, an 18 liter child's pack from REI and three backpack "purses" from Dakine.)  In my quest for the perfect pack, I have often felt like Cinderalla with a mild case of OCD! Why all of the packs then? I think the reason has to do with a question that came up for me recently after a few discussions I had with other members of my hiking group.  When I am trying to sort something out, I tend to ask other people questions so that I can maybe find an answer myself.  Though I was initial...

Listen With Our Hearts: An Article and Some Artwork

Listen With Our Hearts 18" x 18" mixed media acrylic and painted papers Perhaps one of the hardest things to understand as an adult is how complex some issues can be. Human beings are complex creatures. We can both love and dislike someone simultaneously. We can break laws in the name of moral justice knowing full well that we are doing something illegal. And we can want to help someone whose values, reality or lifestyle may differ from our own beliefs. It's very complicated to be human. Things are not neat and tidy, very seldom are they black and white, and they almost never are static. Issues can be open for discussion and outcomes can often change long standing beliefs. As I said, it's hard. So, it was with a happy heart that I read a recent article last week  written by Billy Critchley-Menor, SJ and published in the Jesuit Post. The article highlights the efforts of an Argentinian nun to minister to the trans gendered community members in her area. It ...